Thursday, December 1, 2011

6 weeks 3 days

The nurse called on Tuesday and said that Dr. S had decided that I should have the early ultrasound after all. So I went today after work. She had warned me that the tech wouldn't tell me anything and I would have to wait until the next day to hear the results from the Dr's office. I was supposed to be there by 5:30 but I got stuck in traffic. I called the radiology office and they said not to worry about running late because they were busy. There were about 10 other people waiting when I got there. I had been told that I needed to have a full bladder for part of the scan and I was about to burst after waiting over an hour! I ran to the bathroom and then chugged some more water to fill it back up. Shortly after I came back, they called me in.

When the tech started with the external ultrasound, I asked her, "I know they said you wouldn't be able to tell me anything, but can you show me if you see anything?" She said if I was patient, she would look. She couldn't find anything on the external scan so she did an internal scan. After a few minutes of digging around, she turned the screen toward me, pointed to a tiny flickering spot on it and said, "See that flickering spot? That's the baby's heartbeat!" I gasped and said, "Oh my god!" Then I said, "Hi!" to the baby. I felt like a dork, but I immediately fell in love with that little flickering heart. It all seems so real now. It's alive! I almost cried out of happiness.

Now to just keep that little heart beating for the next 8-ish months...

No comments:

Post a Comment